I know there are already a few root guides out there for this phone, but I found that they weren’t very detailed. This guide is thorough and explains each and every step for newbies.
NOTE: Create a full backup of your device, because it will be erased/restored.
BEFORE YOU BEGIN
- Download Android SKD slimmed version containing only the essential components here.
- Download and install the Universal ADB Driver.
- Download TWRP Recovery file for OnePlus One.
- Download SuperSU (root file)
UNLOCK BOOTLOADER, FLASH CUSTOM RECOVERY, ROOT – ONEPLUS ONE
- Download the slimmed version of Android SDK. (link given above)
- Extract the zip and place the android-sdk-windows folder on your desktop.
- Download and install USB drivers. (link given above)
- To confirm that it is indeed working, open a command prompt window and enter the following commands:
cd Desktop/android-sdk-windows/platform-tools adb version
If it displays “Android Debug Bridge version x.x.xx” it is working.
- Download a custom recovery and the SuperSU zip (link given above). Place both files (recovery image and root zip) in the platform-tools folder located on your desktop within the android-sdk-windows folder.
fastboot oem unlock
- After the above command has finished excuting, run the following
The phone will reboot. Wait until the phone has fully booted up into android, then adjust the following settings on the phone:
– USB Debugging – On your phone go to Settings > About phone > Tap on Build number 7 times. This will enable Developer options. Now go back to Settings > Developer options > Enable USB debugging
– Disable CM Recovery Protection – On your phone go to Settings > Developer options. Then disable the ‘Update recovery with system updates’ option.
– Close the command prompt window and proceed onto the next section of the guide.
INSTALLING A CUSTOM RECOVERY
- Turn the phone off. Then boot it into fastboot mode by holding volume up + power.
- Rename the recovery file that you downloaded above to recovery.img. *Make sure that you rename it to recovery.img NOT recovery.img.img* Remember that this file should be placed in the platform-tools folder inside of the android-sdk-windows folder on your desktop.
- Open a new command prompt and run the following commands:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- Once the flash has completed, Don’t use the “Fastboot Reboot” Command Instead Unplug Your phone then Manually turn it off by pressing and holding power button until it switches off. Now to enter your newly installed custom recovery, hold volume down + power. The phone should boot into recovery mode. Now that you have a custom recovery, you may continue to the final step.
- Close the command prompt window.
Now that your phone has an unlocked bootloader and a custom recovery installed you have a two options to gain root (Pick one or the other. You don’t need to do both)
Option A) Flash SuperSU binaries which will give you root with the stock ROM
- Confirm that you have downloaded the SuperSU zip from the downloads section above and that it is located in the platform-tools folder inside of the android-sdk-windows folder on your desktop.
- Turn the phone off then boot into recovery mode by holding volume down + power. Leave the phone at the main screen of the custom recovery for now.
- Open a command prompt window and run the following commands:
adb push UPDATE-SuperSU-vX.XX.zip /sdcard/
This will copy the SuperSU zip onto your phone. Once the command has completed continue.
Instructions for TeamWin Recovery Project (TWRP):
- Install > browse to SuperSU zip and select the it
- Swipe to confirm the installation. Then reboot.
Instructions for ClockworkMod (CWM):
- install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard.
- Next, browse to the location where you previously copied the SuperSU zip and select the it.
- To confirm the installation, scroll down to “Yes” and select it. The installation shouldn’t take very long, and once it has completed you may reboot.
Thanks, Stay tuned for more updates. Like this post? Use buttons below to share it.