If you have decided you’d like to update an iPhone to iOS 6.1.3, you can install iOS 6.1.3 manually using firmware and iTunes. The manual firmware method is more advanced, making it perhaps best for specific reasons, like to resolve the frustratingly unresponsive “Slide to Upgrade” screen, to fix the Software Update Failed error, due to storage space limitations on the target device, because sometimes it’s just easier due to bandwidth constraints, or because you’re updating multiple of the same devices. Whatever the case, we’ll walk you through the entire process.
BEFORE YOU BEGIN
HOW TO FLASH iPHONE 3G FIRMWARE 6.1.3
This will update a device running a prior version of iOS to iOS 6.1.3, as described here it will perform a software update, it does not restore or reset the device. Nonetheless, always backup before beginning a software update.
3. Connect the iPhone to the computer with a USB cable
4. Select the device in iTunes
5. Under the Backups section, either choose iCloud, or choose “Back up to this computer” and select ‘Encrypt iPhone backup’ , then click “Back Up Now” – don’t skip backing up! When finished backing up, continue.
6. Now you must choose to use an IPSW file by entering an alternate update method:
- For Mac: OPTION + Click on the “Update” button
- For Windows: SHIFT + Click on the ‘Update’ button
7. Navigate in the file system to the IPSW file you downloaded and select it
10. iTunes will show a progress bar as it extracts the software from the IPSW file, updates the iPhone, and then reboots. DO NOT INTERFERE with the device when it is being updated, doing so may mess up the update.
When finished, the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch will reboot itself automatically and enter the iOS 9 setup screens. You’ll be prompted to pick a six digit passcode, setup Hey Siri, and asked a few other questions. Run through the simple setup, and you’ll be presented with your device that is freshly updated to iOS 9. Enjoy!
Thanks! Stay tuned for more updates. Like this post? Use buttons below to share it.