If you’re an iPhone 3GS or iPod touch 4G user and have upgraded to iOS 6.1.6, which was released recently to fix a critical SSL bug then the good news is that it is still possible to perform an untethered jailbreak on your iOS device using a RedsnOw and pOsixspwn.
In this article I’m show you how to jailbreak iOS 6.1.6 first using RedsnOw, and then converting it into an untethered jailbreak using p0sixspwn Cydia package. So let’s begin.
BEFORE YOU BEGIN
- Download RedsnOw [Mac Version, Windows Version]
- Download iOS 6.0 firmware file – the trick is to point Redsn0w to the iOS 6.0 firmware file and NOT iOS 6.1.6 firmware file.
iPhone Links: Kindly download the correct firmware for your iPhone.
6.0.0 (iPhone 3GS): iPhone2,1_6.0_10A403_Restore.ipsw
6.0.0 (iPhone 4 GSM): iPhone3,1_6.0_10A403_Restore.ipsw
6.0.0 (iPhone 4 GSM Rev A): iPhone3,2_6.0_10A403_Restore.ipsw
6.0.0 (iPhone 4 CDMA): iPhone3,3_6.0_10A403_Restore.ipsw
6.0.0 (iPhone 4S): iPhone4,1_6.0_10A403_Restore.ipsw
6.0.0 (iPhone 5 GSM): iPhone5,1_6.0_10A405_Restore.ipsw
6.0.0 (iPhone 5 CDMA): iPhone5,2_6.0_10A405_Restore.ipswiPod Touch Links: Kindly download the correct firmware for your iPod.
iOS 6.0.0 (iPod Touch 4G): iPod4,1_6.0_10A403_Restore.ipsw
iOS 6.0.0 (iPod Touch 5G): iPod5,1_6.0_10A406_Restore.ipsw
HOW TO JAILBREAK iOS 6.1.6
- Download Redsn0w and save the application in a folder named “Redsn0w” on your desktop.
- Download iOS firmware.
- Connect your device to the computer and double click the Redsn0w zip file and extract the application. Navigate to the Redsn0w folder and launch the Redsn0w application.
Windows 7 users should run the exe in Windows XP compatibility mode (right-click on the Redsn0w exe and select Properties, then select the Compatibility tab and select Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows XP). Windows XP and Windows 7 users should run Redsn0w as ‘Administrator’ (right-click on the Redsn0w exe and select ‘Run as an Administrator’).
- Click on Extras button.
- Then click on the Select IPSW button. Navigate and select the firmware file download in Step 2. It should successfully identify it and inform you that it will be used in the rest of the session.
- Go back to Redsn0w’s main page and click on the Jailbreak button.
- Redsn0w will now start preparing the jailbreak data.
- You will now be prompted to select the jailbreak options. Make sure Cydia is selected and click on the Next button to continue. You can also select Enable battery percentage option.
- You will now be prompted to put your iOS device into the DFU mode. Turn off your device, however keep it plugged in to the computer.
- Click on the Next button. Redsn0w will take you through the necessary steps:
(a) Hold the Power button on your iOS device down for 3 seconds:(b) Now simultaneously hold the Home button and keep the two buttons pressed for 10 seconds:
(c) Now release the Power button while keeping the Home button pressed until Redsn0w detects the device.
- Your iOS device should reboot now. Please remember to release the Home button.
- You will be notified once the jailbreaking process is complete. Click on theQuit button to exit the application.
- The rest of the process will take place on your iOS device, wait for it to complete. Your iOS device will reboot once again (which could take approximately 5 minutes). You will now see the Home screen on your iOS device, but Cydia would still be missing, that’s because you still need to tether boot your iOS device using Redsn0w. So follow the steps mentioned below.
- Launch Redsn0w again.
- Click on Extras button.
- Then click on the Select IPSW button. Navigate and select the firmware file already downloaded in above step 2.
- Then click on the Just Boot button.
- You will now be prompted to plug your iOS device to the computer and switch it OFF again. Follow the instructions and click on the Next button to move to the next screen:
- You will now need to put your iOS device into the DFU mode. Redsn0w will take you through the necessary steps:(a) Hold the Power button on your iOS device down for 3 seconds:
(b) Now simultaneously hold the Home button and keep the two buttons pressed for 10 seconds:
(c) Now release the Power button while keeping the Home button pressed until Redsn0w detects the device:
- RedsnOw will recognize the iOS device in DFU mode and apply the limerain exploit (remember to release the Home button). Your iOS device will reboot and a pineapple logo will appear, indicating a tethered boot.
- Wait for the process to complete, once it is complete, you should see the Lock screen on your iOS device.Your iPhone or iPod touch has now been successfully jailbroken and you should see Cydia on the Home screen. If you don’t find it on the Home screen, please don’t panic, search for it using Spotlight. The jailbreak is currently a “tethered” jailbreak.
How to Convert Tethered Jailbreak to Untethered Jailbreak using P0sixspwn
- Launch Cydia. Since you’re launching Cydia for the first time, you may be prompted to do an essential upgrade. Please go ahead and do it, and then relaunch Cydia again.
- Tap on the Search tab, and search for pOsixspwn.
- Tap on pOsixspwn from the search results, tap on Install, followed by the Confirm button.
- Tap on Return to Cydia when prompted.
That’s it, your iOS device has now been successfully (untethered) jailbroken.
So, this was a simple tutorial on How to Jailbreak iOS 6.1.6.
Thanks! Stay tuned for more updates. Like this post? Use buttons below to share it.