LG had really managed to impress us all with its new G2, which is a great Android based smartphone. So now, with the G2, LG can really compete with Samsung, HTC or Sony as, since now the company only (or mostly) provided mid range and budget friendly handsets. Anyway, if you have bought this smartphone, then probably now you are looking into tweaking the same. If so, then during the present tutorial I will try to help you out by showing you how to install a custom recovery image (TWRP recovery) on your LG G2.
You should also know that gaining root access and installing TWRP recovery on your LG G2 are both unofficial operations that have nothing to do with LG or with Google. That’s why when performing these procedures the binary flash counter of your phone will be increased. As you know, when that happens, the warranty gets void.
Now, TWP recovery is the touch and improved version of the classic CWM recovery custom recovery image. This is one of the most used custom recovery for Android, the tool offering a stable user interface and great possibilities for the Android users. The best is that on TWRP recovery you can use the touch capabilities of your LG G2, unlike for CWM recovery when you have to navigate through the recovery menu by using the power and volume up and down buttons.
BEFORE YOU BEGIN
- Backup your data.
- Click to install SDK
- Click to Root LG G2
- Download Recovery image:
AT&T IMG DOWNLOAD THE NEWEST VERSION ONLY!!! as of writing that is 22.214.171.124
Verizon IMG DOWNLOAD THE NEWEST VERSION ONLY!!! as of writing that is 126.96.36.199
TMobile IMG DOWNLOAD THE NEWEST VERSION ONLY!!! as of writing that is 188.8.131.52
Korean Telecom IMG DOWNLOAD THE NEWEST VERSION ONLY!!! as of writing that is 184.108.40.206
d802 IMG DOWNLOAD THE NEWEST VERSION ONLY!!! as of writing that is 220.127.116.11
- Download Root.zip file namely IORoot.
- Download Loki Flash File.
- USB cable.
- On the computer disable the antivirus and antimalware protection; in some cases the security protection is interfering with the installation process and we don’t want that to happen.
- From path “menu – settings – developer options” you need to enable the USB debugging option on your smartphone; else you won’t be able to properly connect your handset with your computer.
HOW TO FLASH TWRP RECOVERY ON LG G2
- Download the TWRP recovery file suitable with your version of LG G2 from the links given above – the custom recovery is being provided by those of xda-developers so we should thanks them for this opportunity.
- Download the Root.zip file; link is given above, unzip the file on desktop.
- Now, save the .img file you have downloaded in step 1 on the same folder as ioroot.
- Download the Loki Flash file.
- Save this file on the same computer and unzip the files on desktop (right click on the file, select extract followed by extract all).
- Go to the Loki Flash extracted folder from desktop. From there access the bin folder.
- Select the loki_flash file and copy-paste the same on the ioroot folder – where you have placed the recovery image downloaded on step 1.
- From the ioroot folder select the recovery image and rename it into recovery.img (not recovery.img.img).
- Up next you need to connect your LG G2 with the computer.
- Plug in the USB cable in order to establish the connection.
- From the ioroot folder open a command prompt (right click on a blank space and select “open command prompt window here”).
- In the cmd window enter the following commands and press Enter key after each command:
adb push loki_flash /data/local/tmp/loki_flash
adb push recovery.img /data/local/tmp/recovery.img
chmod 777 loki_flash
./loki_flash recovery /data/local/tmp/recovery.img
adb reboot recovery
- Your LG G2 should now boot into TWRP recovery.
- If you can’t boot into recovery try to use our dedicated step by step guide from here.
Congratulations; you have successfully completed our step by step guide which means that now you know how to flash TWRP recovery on LG G2.
Thanks! Stay tuned for more updates. Like this post? Use buttons below to share it.